KITENGELA, Kenya — Public transport services have resumed along the busy Nairobi–Namanga highway after matatu operators called off protests against rising fuel prices, restoring normal fares and easing commuter disruption.
Relief spread across Kitengela on Tuesday as passengers travelling to Nairobi saw fares drop back to the usual Sh100, after surging to as high as Sh300 earlier in the day.
The earlier fare hikes had left many commuters stranded as public service vehicles stayed off the roads during nationwide protests over soaring fuel costs.
Operations gradually returned to normal following engagements between transport sector representatives and government officials, allowing vehicles to resume service.
“As Kenyans, we have been suffering since the burden caused by the fuel hike is high. We are, however, charging the normal fare of Sh100 from Kitengela to Nairobi unlike this morning when some operators charged Sh300 to Nairobi,” said Francis Mbugua, a driver with Rembo Shuttle.
Transport operators said the disruption had resulted in significant financial losses, with many missing two days of income during the protests.
“We will be back to full operations tomorrow. We, the matatu operators together with vehicle owners, lost yesterday’s and today’s earnings due to the protests,” Mbugua said.
He added that the current fuel prices were among the highest he had experienced in over a decade in the sector.
Joseph Ng’ang’a, a matatu conductor in Kitengela, said operators were relieved to return to work despite ongoing concerns over fuel costs.
“The business has become difficult since fuel prices were increased. Some of the vehicles we operate were bought through loans which are yet to be serviced. We urge the government to reduce fuel costs as soon as possible,” he said.
He added that operators were hesitant to increase fares further due to the financial strain already facing passengers.
“We don’t want to overburden passengers. At the same time, we want to repay loans. We were not in operation in the morning. We just returned to work after the protests were called off this noon,” he said.
Despite the return to operations, some operators expressed frustration that the protests had not yielded immediate changes in fuel pricing.
“The two-day protests haven’t borne any fruit. We have resumed operations without a solution. Fuel prices haven’t changed,” said Meshack Muzungu, another operator.
Normal business activity resumed across Kitengela and other affected towns, with traders reopening shops under increased security presence.
Also Read: Fuel price protests paralyses Kenya’s public transport, businesses
Police officers from across Kajiado County were deployed to reinforce patrols, while senior officers supervised operations on the ground.
Major transport corridors, including the Nairobi–Namanga and Nairobi–Mombasa highways, remained calm throughout the day, with traffic and commercial activity continuing without further disruption.
The protests were part of a broader national response to rising fuel prices, which have increased pressure on transport operators, businesses and households.
While services have resumed, the underlying concerns over fuel costs and the cost of living remain unresolved, suggesting the potential for further tension within the sector.
For now, commuters have seen immediate relief with the return of normal fares and transport services.
However, operators say long-term sustainability will depend on policy interventions addressing fuel pricing and operational costs within the transport sector.

