NAIROBI, Kenya — A multi-agency security operation in Kawangware, Nairobi, has resulted in the destruction of more than 27,000 litres of suspected illicit brew as authorities intensify efforts to disrupt illegal alcohol production and distribution.
The National Police Service (NPS) said on Saturday, August 22, that officers and other agencies destroyed 27,330 litres of suspected illegal alcoholic drinks during the operation.
The crackdown also targeted businesses operating without the required licences. Two people were arrested after they were allegedly found running wine and spirits shops without the necessary permits.
“A multi-agency operation in Kawangware, Nairobi Region, has resulted in the destruction of 27,330 litres of suspected illegal brews,” the NPS said.
The service said the operation also focused on establishments operating outside the law, resulting in the arrest of the two suspects.
Police said another person of interest believed to be connected to the illicit alcohol trade escaped during the operation.
The individual remains at large as officers pursue leads to establish their whereabouts and make an arrest.
The development comes amid renewed multi-agency efforts to identify and dismantle networks involved in the production, transportation, distribution and sale of illicit alcoholic drinks.
Authorities have increasingly targeted alcohol outlets operating without licences or failing to comply with regulations governing the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages.
The Kawangware operation involved several government agencies working together as part of the wider national campaign against illicit brews.
The destruction of the suspected illegal alcohol is expected to disrupt businesses involved in the trade and prevent the seized products from reaching consumers.
Police have previously said their operations are aimed at addressing not only individual outlets but also the broader networks that facilitate the manufacture, movement and distribution of illicit alcohol.
The latest raid adds to a series of operations conducted in different parts of the country as authorities seek to address the public health and security risks associated with illicit alcohol.
Also Read: New Kenyan policy bans alcohol sales near schools, raises legal drinking age to 21
The NPS has urged members of the public to provide information that could help authorities identify individuals and businesses involved in the illicit alcohol trade.
Residents can report suspected illicit brewing, distribution or other criminal activity at the nearest police station.
Police said information can also be provided through the National Police Service emergency numbers 999 and 911.
Authorities have continued to warn traders against operating alcohol businesses without the required licences, as the crackdown on illicit brews intensifies across the country.







