KAMPALA, Uganda — A private security investigator has told Uganda’s High Court that he used a camera concealed inside a power bank to secretly record meetings in which opposition politician Dr Kizza Besigye allegedly discussed acquiring weapons, organising paramilitary training and overthrowing the government.
Andrew Wilson Orlando, a private security investigator, gave the testimony on Wednesday 19, August 2026 before the Criminal Division of the High Court in Kampala, where Dr Besigye, Obeid Lutale and Capt. Denis Oola are facing treason-related charges.
The case is being heard by Justice Emmanuel Baguma, with Dr Besigye being tried in absentia.
Wilson told the court that he became involved after Joel Wakayima, a Ugandan based in Switzerland, allegedly approached him to facilitate the acquisition of weapons and organise military-style training for between 40 and 60 people.
According to the witness, the weapons allegedly sought included hand grenades, drones and surface-to-air missiles, while the proposed training was to take place in Kisumu, Kenya.
Investigator says meetings were secretly recorded
Wilson told the court that he began cooperating with Ugandan security agencies after deciding not to deliver the weapons allegedly requested by Wakayima and Dr Besigye.
He said that on November 28, 2023, he met Wakayima and Dr Besigye at a hotel in Geneva, Switzerland.
According to Wilson, Dr Besigye suggested moving the meeting to his apartment. The witness said he declined and instead invited the two to his own apartment, where he had already installed covert recording equipment.
Wilson testified that cameras hidden inside a mobile power bank captured the discussions.
He said the conversations allegedly covered plans to obtain weapons and launch attacks in Kampala.
The witness further told the court that he asked Besigye whether he had the capacity to capture and control Kampala.
Wilson alleged that Dr Besigye responded that he would rely on contacts within the senior military ranks.
Court hears alleged assassination plan
Wilson also testified that the alleged discussions included a plan to assassinate President Yoweri Museveni.
He said drone strikes were among the methods allegedly discussed.
According to the witness, the participants were concerned that directly linking Dr Besigye to an assassination would damage his reputation. He alleged that the possibility of attributing the killing to the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) was consequently discussed.
Wilson further claimed that Dr Besigye told him he had previously conducted surveillance on the President.
The witness also testified that associates had allegedly offered US$5 million for the operation, with the money proposed to be deposited in a Dubai bank account on which Besigye would be a signatory.
Wilson said he repeatedly suggested involving National Unity Platform (NUP) leader Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu, popularly known as Bobi Wine, but alleged that Dr. Besigye rejected the proposal.
No evidence from Kyagulanyi was presented in the testimony described in court.
Kisumu training plans
The court heard that another meeting was planned for June 2024 to finalise arrangements for the proposed training in Kisumu.
Wilson said the group discussed alternative methods of transporting the alleged weapons after concerns that Kisumu’s main airport was under surveillance.
According to his testimony, Dr. Besigye suggested using an airport in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), claiming to have contacts who could receive the alleged consignment there.
Wilson further alleged that Dr. Besigye said he had previously used the same airport to receive a similar consignment.
The witness said he later travelled to Kisumu in connection with the alleged training operation.
He told the court that several people were arrested, including 36 Ugandan nationals who were subsequently taken back to Uganda and charged with terrorism-related offences.
Wilson said Besigye was in Nairobi around the time of those arrests.
Alleged plans to create chaos
Wilson also testified about an alleged plan to trigger civil unrest as part of a wider strategy to destabilise the government.
Among the allegations was a proposal to use a drone to interfere with a commercial aircraft at Entebbe International Airport and subsequently use the media to blame the government for the incident.
According to the witness, the broader objective was to create sufficient instability for the military to intervene and take control of the government.
He also alleged that discussions took place about obtaining counterfeit US$5,000 notes to support the proposed Kisumu operation and destabilise Uganda’s economy.
Wilson told the court that the meetings he attended were recorded using covert equipment.
Alleged Café Javas attack
The witness further alleged that Wakayima proposed detonating a hand grenade at Café Javas along Acacia Avenue in Kampala because government officials were believed to frequent the premises.
Wilson said Wakayima was subsequently arrested in Geneva and alleged that Besigye provided contacts who could assist in securing his release.
The testimony forms part of the prosecution’s broader case that the accused held meetings in several countries to allegedly secure funding, acquire weapons and organise activities aimed at overthrowing the Ugandan government.
Another meeting allegedly recorded in Athens
Wilson also testified about a separate encounter with Besigye in Athens, Greece, on September 29, 2024.
He said the meeting took place in the basement of Athens International Airport after Besigye returned from the United States and prepared to attend a conference in Greece.
Also Read: After Dr Kizza Besigye collapses in court, son makes emotional appeal to Museveni
Wilson said he travelled with an associate who remained at a distance while recording the encounter and providing security.
The prosecution has indicated that it intends to rely on witness testimony alongside audio and video recordings, social media communications, immigration records and telephone data.
Defence will have opportunity to challenge evidence
Wilson’s evidence remains part of the prosecution case and has yet to be tested through cross-examination and the defence’s presentation of its case.
The prosecution is being led by Chief State Attorney Richard Birivumbuka, assisted by Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Thomas Jatiko.
Capt. Denis Oola is represented by Sylvia Namawejje Ebitu, Sarah Awero and Julius Sserwambala, while Lutale currently has no lawyers representing him.
The prosecution alleges that Dr Besigye, Lutale and Oola held meetings in Uganda, Kenya, Greece and Switzerland as part of efforts to solicit funding, obtain weapons and organise paramilitary activities aimed at overthrowing the government.
The accused remain entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until a court determines otherwise.
The latest testimony is likely to become a significant part of the prosecution’s case, particularly because the State says it possesses recordings allegedly made during some of the meetings described by the witness.
The court will ultimately determine the evidential value and authenticity of those recordings, as well as whether the prosecution has proved the charges against the accused beyond reasonable doubt.







