NAIROBI, Kenya — Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has said his fallout with William Ruto became deeply personal, revealing he nearly slapped the President shortly before an impeachment motion was tabled against him.
Speaking on Friday, February 20, Gachagua described a tense encounter at an airport where he said the Head of State publicly reprimanded him while seeing him off for a trip to China.
He claimed the confrontation escalated in the presence of senior officials, including Chief of Defence Forces Charles Kahariri and Chief of Staff Felix Kosgei.
“We were at the airport alongside CDF Kahariri, Chief of Staff Felix Kosgei and other leaders when he started insulting me, making unprintable remarks.
“I asked him why he opted to do so in front of them instead of calling me aside and solving the issues man-to-man. I am older than him by a year and therefore demand respect from him because I am also a leader,” he stated.
Gachagua was responding to questions from media houses in the Rift Valley region about why his previously close working relationship with the President had deteriorated.
Now leader of the Democracy for the Citizens Party (DCP), Gachagua suggested the breakdown in relations was aggravated by individuals within the President’s inner circle.
He singled out political aide Farouk Kibet and Oscar Sudi, the Kapseret Member of Parliament (MP), accusing them of contributing to tensions and claiming the President shielded them despite their conduct.
Gachagua said he had released an audio recording of a conversation with Sudi in which the MP allegedly used explicit language against him, a development that has intensified public scrutiny of divisions within the ruling coalition.
The former deputy president also criticised Kipchumba Murkomen, arguing the Interior docket required a more seasoned political figure.
“Murkomen does not understand himself and is very incompetent. He has not matured mentally.
“The Interior Ministry needs a mature person. We have had the likes of George Saitoti, John Michuki and Joseph Nkaissery who made mature decisions,” Gachagua stated.
He added that Murkomen should have resigned following a security breach in Wajir, raising concerns about the risks posed to the President during public engagements.
Also Read: Gachagua hits out at Ruto, downplays 2027 flagbearer race
“We know the area is synonymous with terrorist attacks. What if it were a suicide bomber who approached the President?,” he posed.
Despite the sharp criticism, Gachagua said his grievances were directed at one individual rather than an entire community, stressing that he had no issue with the broader Kalenjin community but with President Ruto personally.
His remarks highlight the continuing political fallout following his removal from office, a process that reshaped alliances within Kenya’s ruling establishment and signalled a widening split between former allies.
Analysts say the public airing of disputes, including leaked recordings and direct criticism of Cabinet appointments, reflects an intensifying struggle for influence ahead of future political contests and attempts by different factions to consolidate regional support bases.

