KAKAMEGA, Kenya — A dispute has emerged in Kakamega after police said they were not formally notified about a planned Linda Mwananchi rally led by Edwin Sifuna, while opposition figures insist all legal requirements were met.
Western Regional Police Commander Issa Mohmud told Vivid Voice News journalist Michael Wandati on Friday that his office had not received official communication regarding the gathering scheduled at Amalemba Grounds.
He said officers first learnt about the rally through online platforms and had not been asked to provide security support.
“The police have not received any formal request for the meeting. We are ready to act against any situation that may threaten the stability, peace, and safety of locals and their property,” Mohmud said.
The commander reiterated that despite widespread mobilisation, organisers had not sought police facilitation.
“We have heard of a rally organised by Nairobi senator Edwin Sifuna and his faction of ODM at Amalemba Grounds in Kakamega tomorrow. We picked this information from social media. No one has come to my office to request our assistance, but we will assist them as much as we can. We will disperse the gathering if it breaks the existing laws of the country,” he added.
“I don’t want to speculate, but we will step in if there is any problem,” Mohmud said.
Mohmud also dismissed online claims about political interference, emphasising the neutrality of law enforcement.
“I have seen reports online about plans by various politicians regarding the rally. As police, we are not part of politics, so I cannot speak authoritatively on that,” he said.
“Our role is purely to maintain peace. We will use all means within our reach to ensure safety and prevent lawlessness,” Mohmud added.
He disclosed that security agencies had received intelligence that a group was travelling from Nairobi, saying officers were closely monitoring developments, even as he maintained that Sifuna’s team had not formally requested police protection.
Opposition figures rejected the police position, arguing that the rally had been properly communicated.
ODM Deputy Party Leader Godfrey Osotsi said organisers had issued written notice to the authorities and suggested the growing popularity of the Linda Mwananchi movement had unsettled sections of government.
James Orengo, the Governor of Siaya, echoed those concerns, alleging signs of attempts to disrupt the event. He insisted the meeting would proceed despite pressure.
Osotsi added that similar rallies in Busia and Kitengela had gone ahead despite resistance and that the party would not retreat in Kakamega. He stressed that the Constitution protects freedoms of assembly, association and expression.
Also Read: Supporter gifts Edwin Sifuna a new sound system as Linda Mwananchi tour resumes
Fernandes Barasa, the Kakamega Governor linked to the rival Linda Ground faction, welcomed visiting leaders but urged restraint. He called on supporters to avoid violence and ensure political activities proceed peacefully.
Tensions rose on Friday evening when a truck equipped with public address systems was seen moving through Amalemba estates to mobilise residents.
The vehicle was later attacked in the Riat area while travelling to Kakamega, with youths pelting it with stones and damaging its windscreen.
Political leaders have since arrived in the region and are expected to begin engagements in Mbale before heading to Amalemba Grounds for the main rally.
Security agencies remain on high alert as the dispute over notification, political rivalry and concerns about possible disruption continue to heighten tensions ahead of the event, reflecting broader contestation over opposition mobilisation strategies in western Kenya as the country moves deeper into a sustained season of grassroots political activity.







