SAMBURU, Kenya — Investigators probing Wednesday’s fatal helicopter crash at Mt Olololwe in Samburu County are facing challenges recovering evidence from the rugged crash site, which was extensively damaged by fire, the Air Accident Investigations Department (AAID) has said.

The AAID, which is leading and directing the investigation, said the condition of the crash site could complicate the recovery of evidence needed to establish what caused the aircraft to go down.

All recoverable wreckage and debris will be collected and transported to Nairobi, where they will remain under the custody of investigators as the probe continues.

“The investigation is nevertheless progressing, and the preliminary report will be released within 30 days, with the final report expected to be released within 12 months,” the AAID said on Friday.

The department said investigators are examining and documenting the accident site and wreckage while recovering and preserving evidence that could help reconstruct the circumstances leading to the crash.

The probe will also include an assessment of the helicopter’s systems and components, as well as a review of its operational and maintenance records.

Investigators will analyse available flight-path and other data, coordinate specialist examinations and technical tests, and establish the causal and contributory factors behind the accident.

France, US join investigation

The AAID said all relevant states and parties had been notified and were participating in the investigation in accordance with their respective roles under Annex 13 of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) framework.

France is participating through the Bureau d’Enquêtes et d’Analyses (BEA-France), which has appointed an accredited representative supported by technical advisers.

Advertisement

France’s involvement stems from its position as the State of Design and State of Manufacture of the aircraft and engine, according to the AAID.

The French representatives are expected to participate in relevant technical activities under the direction and coordination of the AAID Investigator-in-Charge, including accessing relevant evidence and technical information and taking part in specialist examinations where appropriate.

The US National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) has also appointed an expert from its Office of Transportation Disaster Assistance because the crash claimed the lives of US citizens.

The AAID stressed that the investigation is intended to establish facts and improve aviation safety rather than determine criminal or civil responsibility.

“The investigation is conducted solely for the prevention of future accidents and incidents and not for the apportionment of blame or liability,” the department said.

Seven killed in crash

The investigation follows the deaths of seven people when the helicopter crashed at Mt Olololwe on Wednesday, August 19.

Advertisement

Among those killed was Michele Sensi Contugi, 44, an Ecuadorian intelligence official, together with his wife, Stephany Hollihan, and five US citizens.

Sensi Contugi was an Italian citizen who also held Ecuadorian nationality and headed Ecuador’s national intelligence agency.

The victims’ remains were transported to Lee Funeral Home in Nairobi, where postmortem examinations were conducted and samples collected.

Also Read: Seven killed as tourist helicopter crashes near Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

Authorities have not yet established what caused the helicopter to crash.

Investigators are expected to reconstruct the aircraft’s final stages using the wreckage, flight data, maintenance and operational records, witness information and other available technical evidence.

Advertisement

The AAID’s preliminary findings are expected within 30 days, while the final accident investigation report is expected within 12 months.

The department’s investigation will ultimately seek to determine the sequence of events leading to the crash and identify any factors that may have contributed to the accident, with the aim of preventing similar incidents in the future.

Michael Wandati is an accomplished journalist, editor, and media strategist with a keen focus on breaking news, political affairs, and human interest reporting. Michael is dedicated to producing accurate, impactful journalism that informs public debate and reflects the highest standards of editorial integrity.

SPONSORED LINKS
Exit mobile version