NAIROBI, Kenya — Democracy for the Citizens Party (DCP) leader Rigathi Gachagua has claimed that politicians allied to President William Ruto are pushing for the removal of Siaya Senator Oburu Oginga as ODM party leader, amid escalating political tensions ahead of the 2027 General Election.
Speaking in Wamunyoro on Tuesday, August 18, Gachagua alleged that the push was motivated partly by concerns over Oburu’s age and his ability to lead ODM’s political mobilisation ahead of the election.
Gachagua claimed that some leaders aligned with Ruto had told the President that Oburu would be unable to effectively lead the party’s campaign because of his physical condition.
“Yesterday, Ruto’s people in ODM told him that Oburu cannot lead his campaign because he struggles to walk. We saw the other day he could not even read his speech.”
Gachagua further claimed that the same politicians were advocating for Oburu’s removal.
“They told Ruto that there was a need to remove Oburu. So Oburu, they are coming for you,” he said.
The allegations were not accompanied by evidence, and it was not immediately clear which ODM leaders Gachagua was referring to or whether there is an active plan within the party to replace Oburu.
Gachagua links ODM leaders to Homa Bay violence
Gachagua also used the address to repeat allegations linking ODM politicians to the violence witnessed during the Linda Mwananchi political rally in Homa Bay.
He accused unnamed ODM leaders of working with Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen and Interior Principal Secretary Raymond Omollo to organise attacks against opposition activities.
The allegations come after clashes in Homa Bay on Sunday left at least two people dead, including a police officer, while several police officers and journalists were injured.
Police have arrested suspects in connection with the violence, while competing political claims over who organised or provoked the clashes continue.
Gachagua did not provide evidence to substantiate his allegations against Murkomen, Omollo or ODM officials.
Claim of plan to disrupt 2027 elections
The former Deputy President also alleged that some security officials were preparing to create widespread unrest ahead of the 2027 elections in an attempt to make the country ungovernable.
Gachagua claimed he had received information from police officers suggesting that Murkomen had been instructed to facilitate the deployment of goons to cause chaos across the country.
“Murkomen has been briefed to cause chaos in Kenya and make the country ungovernable so that the IEBC can postpone the election for two years and William Ruto can continue to be in office,” he alleged.
He further alleged that Murkomen was working with the chairperson of the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to facilitate a postponement of the election.
Gachagua claimed the alleged plan would involve the declaration of a state of emergency.
There is no evidence presented publicly to substantiate the allegations, and the claims should therefore be treated as allegations rather than established fact.
Kenya’s Constitution sets the presidential election cycle and provides specific constitutional procedures governing any changes to the electoral timetable.
Gachagua calls for international pressure
Gachagua called on the international community to intervene, warning that continued political violence could destabilise Kenya and have wider consequences for the Horn of Africa.
He accused President Ruto of failing to honour repeated promises to tackle political goonism.
Also Read: Oburu Oginga rejects claims ODM died with Raila, vows to rebuild party
Gachagua has repeatedly criticised the government’s handling of politically linked violence and has positioned his DCP as part of the opposition movement challenging Ruto ahead of 2027.
His latest remarks came days after he warned tourists and investors against coming to Kenya, arguing that insecurity and political violence were threatening the country’s image and economic prospects.
He said continued escalation could push the country towards anarchy.
Rising political tensions ahead of 2027
Gachagua’s latest claims come against a backdrop of increasingly confrontational political activity as parties and political movements begin positioning themselves ahead of the 2027 election.
The violence surrounding the Linda Mwananchi rallies has intensified debate over the role of political groups, security agencies and organised youth groups in Kenya’s electoral politics.
The attacks on journalists covering the Homa Bay rally have also prompted condemnation from media organisations, while rights groups have called for independent investigations into the violence.
The competing allegations now raise a broader question over whether Kenya’s political class is entering another period in which violence, intimidation and accusations of state-sponsored mobilisation become central to electoral competition.
For now, Gachagua’s claims about a plan to remove Oburu from ODM, postpone the 2027 election and deploy goons remain unsubstantiated allegations. Any determination of their credibility will depend on evidence and, where appropriate, investigations by the relevant authorities.







