WASHINGTON, D.C., United States — The United States government has announced a major overhaul of its green card application process, requiring most applicants currently residing in the country to leave and complete their applications from their home countries, a move expected to significantly impact thousands of immigrants.

Under the new directive issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), individuals seeking to adjust their immigration status to permanent residency while already in the United States will now be required to exit the country and apply through consular processing.

The policy, announced on May 22, marks a significant departure from previous rules that allowed eligible applicants to adjust status without leaving U.S. territory.

USCIS said exceptions will only apply in “extraordinary circumstances.”

According to USCIS spokesperson Zach Kahler, the change is intended to tighten immigration enforcement and reduce cases of individuals remaining in the country unlawfully after unsuccessful applications.

“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the US unlawfully after being denied residency,” Kahler said.

He added that, going forward, temporary residents seeking permanent status must return to their countries of origin before initiating the process.

The policy shift is expected to affect thousands of immigrants, including Kenyans living in the United States who are seeking permanent residency.

Applicants will now face longer processing timelines, additional travel costs, and increased uncertainty, as consular processing can take months or even years depending on case backlogs and country-specific quotas.

Advertisement

Estimates indicate that more than one million legal immigrants are currently awaiting decisions on adjustment of status applications, many of whom could now be impacted by the revised framework.

The changes come amid a wider tightening of immigration policy under President Donald Trump, whose administration has introduced a series of measures targeting both undocumented and legal immigration pathways.

Also Read: US tightens Green Card Lottery rules in major application overhaul

Recent policy shifts have included restrictions on asylum claims, reductions in refugee admissions, reviews of temporary protected status programmes, and stricter regulations on student and work visas.

The U.S. government has also initiated a review of green cards issued to nationals from 19 countries designated as “of concern,” following a security incident in Washington, D.C. last year.

Immigration experts warn that the new requirement could create logistical and legal complications for applicants, particularly those with ongoing employment, family obligations, or pending legal status in the United States.

Advertisement

For many, leaving the country to apply introduces the risk of delayed re-entry or potential denial, effectively disrupting long-term residency plans.

Michael Wandati is an accomplished journalist, editor, and media strategist with a keen focus on breaking news, political affairs, and human interest reporting. Michael is dedicated to producing accurate, impactful journalism that informs public debate and reflects the highest standards of editorial integrity.

SPONSORED LINKS
Exit mobile version