FLORIDA, United States — An armed man was shot and killed by security agents after breaching the perimeter of US President Donald Trump’s residence at Mar-a-Lago in the US state of Florida, authorities said on Sunday.
According to the United States Secret Service, the incident occurred at around 1:30am local time while Mr Trump was in Washington, DC.
“An armed man was shot & killed by U.S. Secret Service agents & @PBCountySheriff after unlawfully entering the secure perimeter at Mar-a-Lago early this morning,” agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a post on X.
Officials said the suspect, described as a man in his early twenties, was spotted near the estate’s north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel container. Agents confronted the individual and opened fire. No officers were injured.
The episode underscores ongoing security concerns surrounding Mr Trump, who has faced multiple threats and assassination attempts in recent years as his political profile remains highly polarising.
Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, was sentenced to life imprisonment over a plot to assassinate the former president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, shortly before the US election campaign intensified.
That plot followed a separate attack during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots, one of which grazed Mr Trump’s right ear.
Also Read: Human Rights Watch warns US is heading toward ‘authoritarianism’
The incident left one rally attendee dead and marked a defining moment in Mr Trump’s political comeback. Crooks was fatally shot by security personnel at the scene, and investigators have said his motive remains unclear.
Security incidents involving high-profile political figures often trigger reviews of protective protocols, particularly at private residences frequently used for political gatherings and fundraising events.
Mar-a-Lago, which doubles as both a home and political hub, has repeatedly drawn attention from security agencies because of its public accessibility compared with official government facilities.
Authorities have not released the identity of the man killed in the latest incident, and investigations into his motives and background are ongoing.
The Secret Service said it would continue working with local law enforcement to assess any potential wider threat.

