NAIROBI, Kenya — Kenya’s Ministry of Interior and National Administration has sought to reassure passport applicants following mounting public concern over the apparent unavailability of A and B Series passport booklets on the government’s eCitizen application portal.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Ministry acknowledged complaints from applicants who reported being unable to select the two passport series while completing their online applications, sparking anxiety among those with imminent travel plans.
“The Ministry of Interior and National Administration is apprised of concerns raised by passport applicants on the unavailability of A and B Series booklets in the eCitizen application portal,” the statement said.
The issue has drawn widespread attention on social media, where applicants shared screenshots and accounts of stalled applications, warning that the missing options could result in delays affecting work, study, and medical travel.
The development follows public scrutiny after Kenyans observed that the eCitizen portal now offers only the 66-page passport, priced at KSh12,550, for both new applications and standard renewals.
A review of the platform shows that the 50-page passport, which previously cost KSh9,550, has been quietly removed, effectively leaving applicants with a single, more expensive option.
This comes after the government, in July 2025, discontinued the 34-page passport, the most affordable at KSh7,550, citing operational and supply constraints, without outlining a long-term solution.
In response, the Ministry said it had already put corrective measures in place to ensure passport processing continues without disruption.
“The Ministry has put in place measures to ensure that all passport applications are processed in a timely manner without causing any inconvenience to the applicants,” the statement read.
While stopping short of detailing the nature of the technical or logistical challenge, the Ministry reaffirmed its broader mandate to facilitate travel and pledged to restore full functionality to the eCitizen platform.
“We reaffirm our commitment to facilitate travel in line with our mandate as we make efforts to ensure that all series are available,” it added.
Kenya issues passports under different series as part of its security and administrative controls, and interruptions to availability, whether due to system upgrades, supply constraints, or procedural changes, have previously triggered public concern, particularly during peak travel seasons.
Also Read: Kenyan passport slips in global ranking amidst shifting travel freedoms
Although no specific timeline was provided for when the A and B Series options would be fully reinstated on the portal, the Ministry emphasised that applications would continue to be processed as interim measures are implemented.
“We appreciate your patience as we work on resolving the issue,” the statement concluded.
For now, applicants are being urged to remain calm as authorities work to address the disruption, even as pressure mounts for clearer communication on timelines and long-term safeguards against similar interruptions.

