KAKAMEGA, Kenya — Leaders allied to the Linda Mwananchi faction of the Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) have vowed to press ahead with their nationwide mobilisation drive after thousands of supporters gathered at Amalemba Grounds in Kakamega County.
The rally, led by Edwin Sifuna, drew senior figures including Babu Owino, James Orengo, Godfrey Osotsi, and Richard Onyonka, who declared that the Linda Mwananchi Tour would continue despite political resistance and earlier security concerns.
Addressing supporters, the leaders said the movement would traverse the country to champion the rights of ordinary citizens, insisting they would not be intimidated.
Governor Orengo delivered a sharp critique of unnamed political actors, accusing them of attempting to weaken the party associated with Raila Odinga.
“He wants to kill Raila Odinga’s party. The Secretary-General of ODM remains Edwin Sifuna. This movement that has begun here in Kakamega will go all the way to the Coast, Turkana and Kisumu,” Orengo said.
He further referenced Odinga’s reform agenda and an earlier memorandum of understanding within the party.
“Raila had a vision, and that vision was the 10-point agenda. The MoU said ODM cannot form a coalition with any party,” he said.
The rally proceeded largely peacefully despite warnings from Western Regional Police Commander Isaak Mahoud, who had previously cited intelligence suggesting some attendees could be armed.
Tension briefly escalated when a teargas canister was lobbed into the gathering as Sifuna took to the stage. The incident caused momentary panic before leaders urged supporters to remain calm.
Sifuna told the crowd the movement would not be derailed by disruptions.

“I want to tell you why I am being targeted. It is because I keep reminding William Ruto that he had an agreement with Raila Odinga to respect the rights of the people, including devolution,” Sifuna said, referring to President William Ruto.
Also Read: Police warn of armed attendees as Linda Mwananchi rally sparks tensions in Kakamega
Supporters regrouped and the rally continued under heightened security.
Leaders paused proceedings to play the national anthem in honour of a man killed during the faction’s rally in Kitengela the previous Sunday, observing a moment of silence. The incident has become a rallying point for the movement’s messaging around policing and civil liberties.
Speakers accused the government of failing to fulfil economic promises and urged young people to remain politically engaged.
“We have said this movement will not end. Teargas cannot stop it. Hot water cannot stop it. The government cannot stop it. It must continue,” Babu Owino told the crowd.
“Listen carefully, young people. They promised that a boda boda rider would graduate from a motorcycle to owning a matatu. Who here owns a matatu? They said a mama mboga would own a supermarket. Who here owns a supermarket?” he posed.

